Wednesday, August 15, 2007

G-Maw





My Great-grandmother on my mom's side is 103 years old. Up until this last year, she still walked, talked, and made every effort to make us laugh. She's a spunky little thing, that's for sure. She was recently admitted to the hospital for congestive heart failure and spent a 5 day stint there. For a woman who has never been sick (you think I'm kidding), this was not only painful, but terrifying. Bless her little heart. When we went in to see her after a night spent alone in ICU, she was fightin' mad. She told us, "I have never, never, never been so mistreated in my life! I didn't know whether to kill them (the nurses) or kill myself!" She also told us, "I didn't know whether I was a-foot or a-horses back!" Don't ask me what that means...I just know it means she was not happy. I got to the hospital on a Saturday, but my mom and dad had been there a few days. The only thing that seemed to make her happy was coffee and candy. My mom would give her chocolate kisses, and the minute she finished one, she would shout, "more candy!" She also wanted hot coffee...really hot. At one point, it apparently wasn't hot enough for her, so she shouted, "I want HOT COFFEE. H-O-T C-O-F-F-E-E. How hard can it be?!" She was a teacher for 30 years, and she certainly hasn't forgotten how to spell. Even on her death bed she hasn't lost her fire! Grandma Dell is at home now, being assisted by hospice. I know that she will go home to be with the Lord soon, but I'm not sad. She has lived a long, full life, and has paradise waiting for her...a place where she'll be able to entertain the angels with her whit, sing and dance again, and read to her hearts content (she loved to read). I am grateful to have known this woman of faith, and know that she will live on through the stories she has passed down to her close to 30 great-grandchildren. What a woman! I love you to pieces Grandma Dell.

3 comments:

Felicia said...

What a treasure! I'm so glad you have those sweet memoories of your Grandma Dell. I just recently said goodbye to my Granny as she went to be with the Lord and it's a sad time, but rejoiceful as well to know she is where we all long to be one day.

Now and Then Photography said...

i love the picture of yall holding hands. you should turn it into black and whit and frame it. what a spunky woman she must be. i know it must be such a comfort to her to have you guys go see her.

Now and Then Photography said...

hey whats your email address i am going to email you something.